For this week's Masses - Click Here
Mardi Gras & Lent: In Catholic countries Shove Tuesday is styled ‘Mardi Gras’ or ‘Carneval’. In the middle Ages it was the moment to use up the fat etc that would not be used during Lent. Archbishop Peter has sent us a Pastoral letter to help prepare us for Lent and so now is the time before Ash Wednesday to pray and think about our forthcoming Lenten resolutions. In the Gospel, Our Lord teaches us how to (and how NOT to!) pray, fast and give alms. These are the three areas of Lent: doing something extra especially in the spiritual life, self denial especially in our intake of food and drink and finally generosity. Let’s us resolve today to commit to each of these three areas something quite definite and to encourage our children to do the same. Lent is an old Anglo-Saxon word which means Spring so may the fruits come forth after forty days!
Ash Wednesday: is a day of fasting (one meal only & two snacks at most) and Abstinence (from meat). The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their 14th year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their 60th year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.
Lenten Preachers: This year’s Lenten preachers will be:
- Fr Martin Edwards (excl Saturday), St Mary Madaglens, Wandsworth East Hill.
- Fr Mark Higgins, newly ordained from St Andrew’s, Thornton Heath.
- Fr Stephen Boyle from St Anslem's, Dartford.
- Fr Yossef (Lebanese Australian) and Fr Louis Marie (Bombay) from the Transalpine Redemptorists in Papa Stronsay.
- Our five Preacher has cancelled – suggestions are welcome.
Requiem for Abbie Cort RIP: Friday 19th February at 12.15pm.
Fr Pawel is on retreat in Krakow - back on Shrove Tuesday.
Congratulations to La Retraite: who have recently won a local award in the Key Stage 4 Category at the Pupil Premium Awards 2016.
African & Caribbean Meeting: next Sunday after the 9.30 Mass.
Musicians: in particular wanted for Concerts / Fundraising activities for St Bede’s. Contact Phil Jones (see noticeboard for phone and email contact details)
Welcome to God's Church: Joshua Joseph Louis Cilia, son of Raymond and Carla baptised in January by Fr Lukasz.
Active Kid Vouchers: It is that time of year again when Sainsburys run their ‘Active Kids Voucher Scheme’. Both of our schools are collecting these vouchers so you would like to donate yours, please drop them off at the school or in the envelope at the back of the Church.
The Laurels School have vacancies for Head of Science and Head of Music teacher required for September 2016. Please see their website for more information or contact Lara McManamon on 020 8674 7229 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Copies of the job adverts can be found on the noticeboards or on our Job Opportunities page.
Exam Invigilator Required:
- Coloma Convent Girl’s School as well as the 2 other schools within their trust - The Quest Academy and The Archbishop Lanfranc Academy. The positions are part-time and periodically throughout the year. Experience is preferable but training will be given if necessary. For an application form please contact Miss Sallie Trembath on 020 8654 6228 ext 222 or email email@example.com. Closing date 12th February - applications should be returned to the Headmistress Mrs M Martin at Coloma’s school address.
- St Michael’s Catholic College in Bermondsey. They will give full training and all exam invigilators will move alongside qualified teachers. Closing date for applications Friday 19th February 3pm. Please contact Mrs V Ferguson for an application form - email firstname.lastname@example.org
Union of Catholic Mothers: meet Thursday during term-time 8pm
Pray, Play & Tumble Group: Tuesdays 9.30 – 12pm. open to all babies and toddlers 0-5 years old (and their parents/carers too!)
Helpers of God's Precious Infants - Upcoming Processions: The next procession will be on Saturday 13th February at St Margaret’s Church in Twickenham (starting with Mass at 9am and exposition of the Blessed Sacrament at 9.40). Please see the poster for more information.
Walsingham Retreat 27 - 30th May: Please find attached Invite\ Booking Form and Provisional Programme for the retreat in Walsingham. We have only been able to book 30 places, so if you wish to come (and we hope you do!), please get in touch as soon as you can.
Jubilee Year of Mercy - 8th December 2015 to 20th November 2016. On 8 December, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, Pope Francis opened a Holy Year of Mercy. Pope Francis desires that the year ‘will be steeped in mercy, so that we can go out to every man and woman, bringing the goodness and tenderness of God! May the balm of mercy reach everyone, both believers and those far away, as a sign that the Kingdom of God is already present in our midst!’ (Bull of Indiction 5) The Year will close with the liturgical Solemnity of Christ the King on 20 Nov.
There are events planned by the Southwark Catholic Youth Service including:
- 4–5th March: “24 Hours for the Lord”: Pilgrimage to the Holy Door of Mercy St. George’s Cathedral, Southwark. United in adoration and prayer across the world, the 24 hours will start with Mass at 12:30pm. At 7.30pm we will have evening prayer to start a night of music, art, film, prayer and reflection led by SCYS. The sacrament of reconciliation will be available. Throughout the night we will have activities available in Amigo Hall.
- 19th March: ‘Born for This’: A powerful and moving depiction of the Stations of the Cross presented by young people from the diocese at Aylesford Priory.
- 24th April: 'I Believe': Pilgrimage to the Holy Door of Mercy St. George’s Cathedral, Southwark. Join Archbishop Peter Smith for an afternoon of catechesis, testimony, prayer and music. Meet other young catholics as we reflect on the faces of mercy in our lives. 3pm – 5pm, followed by refreshments in The Amigo Hall. The event is for those Confirmed, or to be Confirmed in the Year of Mercy
- 26–31st July: World Youth Day event in Krakow, Poland. Open to all young persons 18+ See fr Pawel for application form.