For this week's Masses - Click Here
Mardi Gras & Lent: In Catholic countries Shove Tuesday is styled ‘Mardi Gras’ or ‘Carneval’. In the middle Ages it was the moment to use up the fat etc that would not be used during Lent. Archbishop Peter has sent us a Pastoral letter to help prepare us for Lent and so now is the time before Ash Wednesday to pray and think about our forthcoming Lenten resolutions. In the Gospel, Our Lord teaches us how to (and how NOT to!) pray, fast and give alms. These are the three areas of Lent: doing something extra especially in the spiritual life, self denial especially in our intake of food and drink and finally generosity. Let’s us resolve today to commit to each of these three areas something quite definite and to encourage our children to do the same. Lent is an old Anglo-Saxon word which means Spring so may the fruits come forth after forty days!
Ash Wednesday: is a day of fasting (one meal only & two snacks at most) and Abstinence (from meat). The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their 14th year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their 60th year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.
Lenten Preachers: This year’s Lenten preachers will be:
- Fr Martin Edwards (excl Saturday), St Mary Madaglens, Wandsworth East Hill.
- Fr Mark Higgins, newly ordained from St Andrew’s, Thornton Heath.
- Fr Stephen Boyle from St Anslem's, Dartford.
- Fr Yossef (Lebanese Australian) and Fr Louis Marie (Bombay) from the Transalpine Redemptorists in Papa Stronsay.
- Our five Preacher has cancelled – suggestions are welcome.
Requiem for Abbie Cort RIP: Friday 19th February at 12.15pm
Congratulations to La Retraite: who have recently won a local award in the Key Stage 4 Category at the Pupil Premium Awards 2016.
African & Caribbean Meeting: next Sunday after the 9.30 Mass.
Musicians: in particular wanted for Concerts / Fundraising activities for St Bede’s. Contact Phil Jones (see noticeboard for phone and email contact details)
Welcome to God's Church: Joshua Joseph Louis Cilia, son of Raymond and Carla baptised in January by Fr Lukasz.
Active Kid Vouchers: It is that time of year again when Sainsburys run their ‘Active Kids Voucher Scheme’. Both of our schools are collecting these vouchers so you would like to donate yours, please drop them off at the school or in the envelope at the back of the Church.
Exam Invigilator Required:
- Coloma Convent Girl’s School as well as the 2 other schools within their trust - The Quest Academy and The Archbishop Lanfranc Academy. The positions are part-time and periodically throughout the year. Experience is preferable but training will be given if necessary. For an application form please contact Miss Sallie Trembath on 020 8654 6228 ext 222 or email email@example.com. Closing date 12th February - applications should be returned to the Headmistress Mrs M Martin at Coloma’s school address.
- St Michael’s Catholic College in Bermondsey. They will give full training and all exam invigilators will move alongside qualified teachers. Closing date for applications Friday 19th February 3pm. Please contact Mrs V Ferguson for an application form - email firstname.lastname@example.org
Union of Catholic Mothers: meet Thursday during term-time 8pm
Pray, Play & Tumble Group: Tuesdays 9.30 – 12pm. open to all babies and toddlers 0-5 years old (and their parents/carers too!)